Is a new page for those Classic Trials Bike projects that have been left abandoned, for years just gathering dust.

Find it back out, I know that I have more than most.


 The old phrase you started so you finish springs to mind.

You get it back out and you will be amazed at what you have already done? And this may spur you on to finish the project this time.

You know you always wanted to ride the bike and I can guarantee the first start-up will put a broad grin on to your face.

 I will start with this abandoned "Triumph Cub Project".


Dan Williams asked for information on frame mods to a standard frame so the photos of what I did to my frame was the best way to go.




This is as far as I got with the project initualy, it then sat in a dirty corner of the workshop for years.



This shows the modifications to the bottom rail frame removal, and the replacement with the 5mm alloy bash-plate. the up-stands (there is another to be welded in on the right-hand side) help to put the rigidity back into this lower section of the frame.

The bottom part of the frame was hacked off originally so that I could get the frame onto my jig to set a steering head angle for a New frame I was making.



This is the oil tank I made  on the same lines as the "One Trick Cub" from the USA.

I liked that tank and just thought I would make one like it, one day when I was playing with the Tig welder we had on hire for a job. 



This is the tank replacement reinforcing  now formed from the flat laser cut sheet in the first picture.

 I had to make tooling for my fly-press to achieve this.

Same style as the "One Trick Cub" again and that is what inspired me to do the same, only the laser cutter would only do a batch of six to ten so I have a few spares.


The swinging arm is a BSA Bantam D-B175 unit and probably needs No modification.

I was asked how to steepen the steering head angle well you could get out the gas bottles.

But to be honest you would be wasting your time!

 By fitting longer rear shocks , or bringing down the rear shock mounts does that job for you.

 and without the hassle.of setting the frame up on a jig to check the uprightness of the steering head if you start to heat things up.


(Sorry  about the Ghosts on the door behind?) (gun needed washing out and I do like drawing things).


                                         Dan thought that the oil pipe boss may foul on this---->

When the engine is moved over.


 I need to now build the new subframe, as I must have used the one built on something else.

The engine spacers are to move the motor over to the left. the front bracket was widened accordingly.

I will try and find time this next week to fabricate the sub frame.

Hope this helps so far Dan?

OK Dan, I have looked at the down tube frame mod ,and think that the oil supply pipe would probably clear, then I checked the Faber frame , and decided to perform this mod below to the frame.

 Just  to save action later ,if it did  not clear.

And it has tided up the chopped tube too.



I am sure now that this should be OK. thanks Dan for spotting that.



I have now bronze welded in the reinforcement.

 It is not that pretty around the head-stock casting ,but you need a load of heat to get this section hot enough.

 I now have to decide which head stock bearings to use.

I am hoping I can find a set of taper bearings that will fit the bill.

I have an old pair of Metal Profile forks that will do for the build and they have been laying about for years.

Or I have  a as New pair of Ceriani 32 mm forks that would do fine,

and even a pair of Yamaha, now they could be better.






I have now measured the MP forks and they are just too long at 33" and the gap between the yokes is 8", so you can see that if you have stuff laid about and have a choice, do your home work before jumping in at the deep end.

Yes I could fit the MP forks, but three inches of the stanchions would have to be stuck out of the top yoke and in way of the handlebars.


I could use the Honda 90 Cub wheel in the front, this also has been gathering dust since I removed it from a Cheney BSA many moons ago, this was the bike that Eric used has an hack to get about on so I was told.

But I also have another Yamaha TY front wheel that is spare and would also fit the Ceriani or DT Yamaha forks better.

There is a Cub rear hub knocking about or perhaps I will use a Jialing again.


One of my Glass-Fibre tanks will do the job nicely and look the part on this frame that is what Ray  Small designed it for, a Triumph Cub.

There is a pair of  Falcon shocks that I can strip and rebuild, that are the right size, I just need to make, or find a Triumph Cub sub frame.


So all I want now is an engine. and a few more cycle parts.


More Later it is only half way up the workshop and not to the back again yet,I just need that elusive motor to bring the bike back out to the front.



Working on another Cub at the moment so this may bring interst back in,


Good Old Back Of The Shed.